Sunday, November 17, 2013

Reputation at Work

I work at a restaurant while attending school as a delivery driver. I have been employed there almost two years now, and developed a reputation over that time. My reputation is somebody who is goofy, but always reliable and hard-working. While drivers have come and gone through the restaurant, mainly being fired, I have consistently been employed there because of my nature to always show up at work on time, whenever I am scheduled, work for others when somebody doesn't show up, work hard while I am at work, keep personal opinions and relationships to myself, and go home at the end of the day. Because I have had consistent employment since I was 14 years old, along with my blue-collar upbringing, I have never been afforded the opportunity to be unemployed. Because of always having a job, always needing a job, and always wanting a job, I have developed a strong reputation as a reliable, good worker, which is definitely the case at where I work now. 

I keep my reputation intact and enhanced further by continuing how I have always approached work: always show up on time, never don't show up to work, keep opinions and personal relationships to myself, remain friendly, and work hard. I have never been able to "cash in" my reputation for personal gain because unemployment is not an option, and by abandoning my reputation as reliable I would probably lose my job. 

3 comments:

  1. I do think that arriving on-time at work is a major issue for some people. And by doing that, you definitely built your reputation. I have the same feeling with you with it comes to "cash in" reputation. I've never felt like I can be better off in any way by cashing in my reputation because I think having a positive and good reputation gives a person so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed this yesterday when I was commenting on posts. I wonder why, since I didn't finish till about 5 PM.

    Everything you wrote above is consistent except where you say you are goofy. I don't doubt it is true, but I wonder whether it matters at all in your work. If it does matter, you might explain why. On the reliability part, that is easy to understand.

    Here is a different sort of question, given what you have said. Have you looked for other work, something that might pay more? I'm not sure what that would be, but if I were in your shoes I'd want to earn more if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There must have been an error with Google not publishing it to my blog after I submitted it.

    In regards to being goofy, I believe that my being goofy has helped me to establish better relationships with my co-workers because of the ease of working alongside me (biased view, I suppose).

    I have attempted to find other work that pays more, but to be honest, delivery drivers make far more than any position that is part-time and doesn't receive tips. For example, if I work 4 hours on a busy night, I have the potential to earn about $80 in tips alone, plus base hourly, which is far more than, say, even a $14/hr part-time job. So to answer your question, I believe I already make as much as I can while still attending school.

    ReplyDelete